Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pacific City, OR + Mt. Hebo, OR


After leaving the Willamette Valley, we stopped in the adorable town of McMinnville for dinner, then made our way to the coast.

The plan was to camp at the Siuslaw National Forest in Mt. Hebo, but the temperature was quickly dropping and the weather forecast was showing a chance of showers. Instead, we went to Pacific City to sleep. Pacific City is known for Haystack Rock, and the little beach town was perfectly quaint and quiet on that overcast evening.

The next morning, we headed back to Mt. Hebo. My grandfather was stationed there when he was in the service, so the town is one of many where my mom grew up (she even remembers going to Pacific City as a kid!). She did some research and learned that the Mt. Hebo base had since been closed down, and that the military housing had even been removed. We found this link to a photo stream that shows aerial pictures of the old base with comments about what it's like today - it was really interesting to read and understand what it was like then vs. now (here's another photo stream I found with someone's home photos from when they were stationed there).

We drove far up into the forest until we found the location of the old base, covered in a thick fog. Today, there is only a plaque, meadow, and some type of power tower (or not a power tower?) where the base once was. Through the fog we were able to make out what seemed to be old housing foundations.

It was so fun to able to see a piece of my family's history, and to hear some stories about my mom's childhood in Mt. Hebo!

-Amanda


A photo of Mt. Hebo base from my grandma's photo album:

 My mom with her brothers at Mt. Hebo:

See our other Oregon posts right here!


2 comments:

  1. I love that Oregon has so much variety as a state and I'm so excited to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Amanda!
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Pacific City to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments!

Pin It button on image hover